There are TONS of safe activities for all ages in Galena. Summer 2020 may look a bit different for all of us, but you can still travel safely in the midwest. In fact, small towns are the perfect place for outings while staying away from others.
The city of Galena has closed portions Main Street so that restaurants and bars can seat visitors in the middle of the historic strip. ALL restaurants now offer outdoor dining! Main Street might be a bit busy for those who are nervous about traveling which is why we wanted to compile a list for upcoming visitors.
Here are a few of our favorite socially distant activities that you may want to look into before your #GalenaCountry visit:
- Kayak or paddle with Fever River Outfitters. Enjoy a casual paddle while taking in the scenery on the historic and beautiful Galena River. Rentals are available in 2 hour, 3 hour, 4 hour, and full day free style rental durations.
- We had a blast at Hoof It, Galena. This is a goat trek that explores the wooded property and prairies that have been in the Eisbach family for four generations. The goats follow you along the way and enjoy hand-fed treats. The hike lasts an hour and is 1.25 miles long. The trail is suitable for all ages and abilities.
- Galena County is one of the Midwest's premier golf destinations. For a memorable golf experience you can choose from the courses at Eagle Ridge or the Galena Golf Club. Picturesque nine-hole layouts and challenging, world-class championship courses provide the perfect fairway to suit your level of play.
- Thunder Bay Falls is a perfect site to visit for the entire family located in the the Galena Territory. Can you name another majestic waterfall that you can get to without hiking? The grand falls are wheelchair accessible and there is plenty of space to distance yourself from other groups.
- A few of our favorite hiking spots and viewpoints:
- The Galena River Trail is walkable or is a 2 minute drive from Felt Manor. You could start at the Train Depot and run/hike to Buehler Nature Preserve and back. You can also park at the Belvedere Mansion and hike to the Mississippi River!
- Casper Bluff offers beautiful views of the Mississippi River. There are historic Native American Mounds. The thunderbird effigy mound is truly unique to Illinois. The mound is in the shape of a bird and is centuries old.
- Our favorite view in Galena (besides the Felt Manor porch) is Horseshoe Mound 400 ft above Galena. It is a short 5 minute drive from the manor and you can hike, or have a picnic surrounded by beauty.
- About 40 minutes from Galena, the Mississippi Palisades State Park is home to some of the Midwest's most photogenic landscapes. There are about 6 overlooks to view the Mississippi River and relax on a bench or picnic table. You can also hike between the bluffs.
- Looking for a socially distant dinner? While ALL restaurants offer outdoor dining and indoor dining, we feel quite safe at Campeche. The outdoor patio is on the edge of town and overlooks Grant park. They have a new rooftop patio, too! Campeche offers delicious Mexican cuisine and Alex's favorite dish is the Cochinita Pibil. (A dish from the town of Campeche, Mexico.)
- Takeout is a great option, too. We suggest Cannovas Pizza & Italian fare for a delicious evening. Cannovas will deliver directly to the the Coach House because a stay-cation might be what the doc ordered.
The Felt Manor is OPEN & safe! Our small business is committed to keeping Galena Country safe and our economy strong.
To help with this effort, we are frequently sanitizing, managing occupancy, and monitoring the health of our employees. We have instituted a number of new safety practices that you can review here.
Book your socially distant visit today!